Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
These won best of show 2002 cookie contest. I clipped from the newspaper.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F Beat shortening and butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add chopped almonds and orange zest, beating well.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom. Cool slightly on baking sheet; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, marmalade and orange juice; stir well. Spread on cookies and garnish with sliced almonds.