Hosted a 4-H Food Project meeting at my home featuring "Fall Produce". Although I had planned to use pumpkins, apples and cranberries for the from-scratch fillings, I figured this is another way to make a pie (from the can). She made a beautiful job of it by putting a lattice top-crust on it, then glazing with an egg wash, and sprinkling with baker's sugar crystals. When it came out of the oven, the kids and I decided this was "Best of Show" -- it was so pretty and perfectly beautiful.
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe; roll out dough for bottom crust, line pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour pie filling into bottom crust.
- Roll out top crust, use a butter knife (non-serrated side) to cut 1-inch strips for the lattice.
- Start at the center, and lay strips out in an over-n-under basket-weave fashion--leaving about 1/4-inch between strips (so the cherries peek through); crimp edges with fork tines to seal.
- Beat egg until very frothy, lightly brush over crust and strips--be SURE not to get it on the filling (it doesn't look very nice); immediately sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 425 oven for 15 minutes, then turn down to 325 and continue baking for another 30 minutes -- crust should be golden brown.
- SUGGESTIONS: Use seasonal cookie cutters to create the top crust.