1/1 Photo of Best-Of-Show Cherry Pie
1 hr 5 mins
Hosted a 4-H Food Project meeting at my home featuring "Fall Produce". Although I had planned to use pumpkins, apples and cranberries for the from-scratch fillings, I figured this is another way to make a pie (from the can). She made a beautiful job of it by putting a lattice top-crust on it, then glazing with an egg wash, and sprinkling with baker's sugar crystals. When it came out of the oven, the kids and I decided this was "Best of Show" -- it was so pretty and perfectly beautiful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare pie crust according to recipe; roll out dough for bottom crust, line pie pan.
- 2Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 3Pour pie filling into bottom crust.
- 4Roll out top crust, use a butter knife (non-serrated side) to cut 1-inch strips for the lattice.
- 5Start at the center, and lay strips out in an over-n-under basket-weave fashion--leaving about 1/4-inch between strips (so the cherries peek through); crimp edges with fork tines to seal.
- 6Beat egg until very frothy, lightly brush over crust and strips--be SURE not to get it on the filling (it doesn't look very nice); immediately sprinkle with sugar.
- 7Bake in 425 oven for 15 minutes, then turn down to 325 and continue baking for another 30 minutes -- crust should be golden brown.
- 8SUGGESTIONS: Use seasonal cookie cutters to create the top crust.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best-Of-Show Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 932.8
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 370.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 100.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g