Recipe by lazyme
This is from the Aces cookbook in the Best of Bridge series. My DH doesn't like beans and loves this soup. It takes a little time to prep, but it is worth it. It gets even better the next day.
Top Review by angie_pangie
Thank you, lazyme, for posting this great recipe! My dh and I really enjoyed this . . . of course my picky kids won't touch anything with veggies AND beans, but more for us! I just had another bowl for lunch and it is definitely better on day two! I used beans that were prepared from dried, instead of canned without any problems.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 smoked ham hocks or 2 -3 cups ham, cubed
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sausage to remove excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Skin pork hocks and remove excess fat.
- Brown sausage and pork hocks in large heavy pot. Drain.
- Add all other ingredients and add just enough water to cover. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and continue to cook for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove pork hocks and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to pot. Serve with crusty bread or cheddar beer bread.