Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
I adapted this from Jane Brody's recipe in the Good Food Cookbook. Great starter to any day. Store in refrigerator and wrap and warm in toaster oven for 10 minutes. May be frozen as well. Yum!
- 3 cups shredded 100% all-bran cereal
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup organic raisins
- 1 cup boiling filtered water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oil, and raisins, and pour the boiling water over them. Set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, and molasses and honey. Add this to partly cool mixture.
- In another small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the cereal mixture, stirring just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Cover batter with a plastic wrap or damp cloth, and let sit for at leat 15 minutes, perferably 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease 24 muffin cups, and divide batter among them, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, and, when they are slightly cooled, take them out of the tin and place them on a rack to cool completely.
- I like to eat them warm!