Recipe by ajoyna01
You don't have to choose between meaty, cheesy or saucy with this recipe. The layers are different than any other recipe I've seen and make it really good. People always rave over this lasagna. Use a big pan, it is HUGE! The base recipe came from an older cookbook found at a garage sale. Another reminder not to judge a book by its cover -which in this case happened to be quilt. Every recipe in it is fantastic. It's called the Bride's Cookbook. I've added sauce because I thought it was too dry. I didn't think I'd like the cottage cheese but it is really good and cheesy. I've never found cottage cheese with chives so I add fresh chopped chives. I've use shredded mozzarella and sliced. I like sliced the best. Also, the sauce only needs to be simmered for 8 minutes as opposed to 30 minutes or an hour.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese with chives
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 10 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 18 -20 slices mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease 9x13-inch ovenproof casserole.
- Brown meat with onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain excess drippings.
- Add next 8 ingredients. Simmer, uncovered for 5 to 8 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg in bowl;.
- Stir in ricotta, cottage, cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange half of noodles in pan.
- Spread with half the cheese mixture.
- Cover with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese slices. Top with half the meat sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Place remaining mozzarella over meat sauce. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over top. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.