Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty! This is my mother-in-laws recipe. I serve this as a main course sometimes.
- 16 ounces macaroni or 16 ounces rotini pasta, cook & drained
- 1 egg (beat)
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups grated cheese (fresh grated is the best)
- salt and pepper
- combine egg, cottage cheese, sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- add cooked pasta and mix together.
- place in any casserole dish (I use 9x13 glass).
- cook at 350 degrees for a half an hour.
- sprinkle with basil for extra flavor.
This was indeed a delicious recipe! Anything that tastes close to Stouffer's Mac & Cheese is a winner in my book. Because I can never leave well enough alone, here are the changes I made: 1. I added 1/2 cup of whole milk to the cheese mixture (I'm going to increase to 1 cup next time); 2 I added 1/2 tsp. of dry mustard (I will increase to 3/4 tsp. next time) and I melted some butter and tossed it with crushed Ritz Crackers for a topping. I used 1 cup of shredded American Cheese (real stuff from the deli) and 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar. I used lowfat cottage cheese and regular sour cream and skipped the basil. Yummy...yummy...yummy! Thanks for posting!
Your mother-in-law got it just right! The cottage cheese additional was divine. Must try for everyone!