Prep1 hr 10 mins
So I took Engrossed's "Best Oatmeal Cookies" and made it low-fat, with her permission of course. Prep time includes chilling.
- 1⁄4 cup reduced fat margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (may be ground in a blender) or 1⁄2 cup pecans, ground (may be ground in a blender)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- granulated sugar, for dipping
- In a large bowl cream the butter, applesauce and sugars, beating until fluffy.
- Blend egg into creamed mixture.
- Sift together into the creamed mixture the flour, soda, and cinnamon.
- Blend in the oats, nuts and vanilla.
- Chill dough 1 hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets.
- Drop cookies on greased sheet, using a 1 TB scoop or spoon.
- Grease the bottom of a small glass, dip in sugar, and press gently on each uncooked cookie, flattening it to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, resugaring glass for each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool 2-3 minutes on the sheet, remove cookies, and cool completely on racks. Store them in an airtight container.