Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my one of my son's most requested recipes, though all my kids love it! We serve it with warmed, real maple syrup for dipping. We tried 4 or 5 recipes before combining a few to come up with this one, now nothing else will do!
- 8 slices firm bread (we use pepperidge farm)
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices deli turkey
- 4 slices American cheese (or you can use cheddar, my kids prefer american)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
- powdered sugar, garnish
- maple syrup or jam, for dipping
- oil (for frying)
- Assemble four sandwiches using bread, meats, and cheeses. Set aside. In medium mixing bowl (I use a square casserole dish), combine egg, water, milk, salt, sugar, flour, baking powder & mustard. Beat well. Heat about 1" of oil in deep skillet (I use a large iron skillet). Dip your sandwiches into the coating mixture, I like to get them well soaked. They will be drippy -- try to drain off a bit, carefully slide into the hot oil. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. When nicely browned, gently flip over & brown other side. Remove to paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let cool a few minutes before cutting so the cheese doesn't ooze out. Cut each sandwich into four fingers for easy dipping. Serve with syrup or jam.
wonderful, easy and very, very tasty
This is worth every calorie that I am sure I just consumed!! This was amazing!!! I have not had one of these since I was a kid and this is just like I remember! I didn't have honey dijon, just regular dijon, so I added 1/4 tsp honey to the mix and I used whole wheat pastry flour. Used grapeseed oil for browning. Thank you so much for this recipe. What a treat!!!!