Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the best soft molasses cookies
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (3/4 cup correct amount)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in egg, molasses, and vanilla and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients and stir.
- Cover and chill till firm (1-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes.
- Leave on sheet one minute until set.
Quite possibly my favorite cookies on the face of this earth! I am making them for my family for the holidays- always a huge hit, and come out perfectly!