Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
These are delicious - the best I have ever tasted.
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) stale Italian bread, crust discarded
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
- Tear bread into large pieces, then soak in milk until very soft, about 5 minutes. Squeeze out and discard excess milk.
- Mix together bread, garlic paste, 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and remaining ingredients except oil in a large bowl with your hands, breaking up any large pieces of bread, until combined well. Form meat mixture into 18 (2-inch) balls with dampened hands.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown meatballs in 2 batches, turning frequently, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange meatballs in 1 layer in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Cover with 1 quart sauce (reserve remainder for another use), then cover dish tightly with foil and bake until meatballs are cooked through, about 30 minutes.
If you like speading time in the kitchen and making something thats worth while then try these balls. Excellent taste, texture, and really grab the sauce. They freeze great and will stay up to 3-6 months in the freezer.But I know that they will not last that long,. not a problem! I did add some jalepeno ground pepper from the garden and worked well!