Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr
originally from taste of home, modified a bit for my personal tastes. men especially seem to like this.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2⁄3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2⁄3 cup italian style dry breadcrumbs
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- first, prepare 2 large pieces of foil to wrap meat loaf. put four slices of bacon on foil.
- in large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients (except for sauce). i find it is easier just to use my hands! mold the beef mixture loosely in a nice loaf and place over bacon strips. seal and refrigerate overnight (or all day).
- before baking, open foil and turn loaf so that bacon is now on top. reseal tightly, place on baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. open foil, and drain excess juices.
- combine sauce ingredients in saucepan over low heat, and then spoon over loaf. bake uncovered, about 30 minutes longer. i like to put the loaf under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes to crisp the bacon.