Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Easy & the best tasting Marinated Mushrooms I have ever had! Found this recipe in Cook's Illustrated. Leave whole if mushrooms are small, halved if medium, quartered if large. Skillet size limits the yield of this recipe; if you would like to double it, cook the mushrooms in two separate batches but marinate them together. Thyme, parsley, or basil makes a good last-minute addition--use only one, however, not all three. Enjoy!!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb white button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, sliced very thin
- 1 large shallot, chopped fine (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 small red bell pepper, chopped fine (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon basil
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms release moisture, moisture evaporates, and mushrooms have browned around edges, about 10 minutes.
- Spread mushrooms in single layer on large plate or rimmed baking sheet; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- When cooled, transfer mushrooms to medium bowl, leaving behind any juices.
- Stir garlic, shallot, and bell pepper into mushrooms.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 6 or up to 24 hours.
- Before serving, allow mushrooms to stand at room temperature about 1 hour.
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and thyme and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper just before serving.