6 hrs 20 mins
Easy & the best tasting Marinated Mushrooms I have ever had! Found this recipe in Cook's Illustrated. Leave whole if mushrooms are small, halved if medium, quartered if large. Skillet size limits the yield of this recipe; if you would like to double it, cook the mushrooms in two separate batches but marinate them together. Thyme, parsley, or basil makes a good last-minute addition--use only one, however, not all three. Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb white button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, sliced very thin
- 1 large shallot, chopped fine (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 small red bell pepper, chopped fine (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon basil
- 1Heat 3 tablespoons oil, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- 2Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms release moisture, moisture evaporates, and mushrooms have browned around edges, about 10 minutes.
- 3Spread mushrooms in single layer on large plate or rimmed baking sheet; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- 4When cooled, transfer mushrooms to medium bowl, leaving behind any juices.
- 5Stir garlic, shallot, and bell pepper into mushrooms.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 6 or up to 24 hours.
- 7Before serving, allow mushrooms to stand at room temperature about 1 hour.
- 8Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and thyme and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper just before serving.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Marinated Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (599 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.3
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 341.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 3.5 g