Recipe by Chef Heather
Rich, with bold flavor. This is a recipe you can count on to please a crowd. Use reduced fat cheeses to make it easier on the fat and calories!
Macaroni and Cheese Sauce Base
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 fluid ounce hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 fluid ounce Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
Mix for Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces white extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces swiss cheese
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced fine
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Macaroni and Cheese Sauce Base:
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and mix until flour is incorporated into butter.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and chicken broth and continue to cook until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and season with hot pepper sauce, worcestershire, salt and pepper. Allow to cool before using.
- To make the Macaroni and Cheese:
- Cook macaroni in salted water, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place the yellow cheddar, white cheddar, swiss, Velveeta, and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cheese sauce base and mix thoroughly.
- Place the mix evenly into a large serving dish.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 45-50 minutes or until hot and bubbly.