Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe. It is from BH&G cookbook. An excellent addition to your holiday tray.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1" balls.
- Place 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven about 15 minutes or until sides are set (do not let edges brown).
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
Yummy. I had 3 egg yolks to use up and went looking for a recipe that not only would use them, but only called for ingredients I already had. These were easy to make and the kids loved them. I bagged them and stuck them in the freezer for easy lunchbox additions. Thanks!