Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This old standby is topped with tortilla strips made from corn tortillas and with Parmesan cheese.
Make and share this Best Loved Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken (boneless, cooked, shredded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, med. chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried cilantro
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or other vegetable oil) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish)
- In slow cooker combine chicken, whole tomatoes, enchilada sauce, green chilies, onion, and garlic clove.
- Add water, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Sir in corn and cilantro.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly brush both sides of 6 corn tortillas with canola, olive, or other vegetable oil.
- Using kitchen scissors or knife, cut tortillas into 2 1/2 x 1/2-inch strips.
- Spread tortilla strips onto baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 5-10 minute or until crisp.
- Put soup servings into bowls.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips and grated Parmesan cheese over soup servings.
- Serve immediately.