Recipe by ChefWhiz
This old standby is topped with tortilla strips made from corn tortillas and with Parmesan cheese.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken (boneless, cooked, shredded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, med. chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried cilantro
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or other vegetable oil) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In slow cooker combine chicken, whole tomatoes, enchilada sauce, green chilies, onion, and garlic clove.
- Add water, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Sir in corn and cilantro.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly brush both sides of 6 corn tortillas with canola, olive, or other vegetable oil.
- Using kitchen scissors or knife, cut tortillas into 2 1/2 x 1/2-inch strips.
- Spread tortilla strips onto baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 5-10 minute or until crisp.
- Put soup servings into bowls.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips and grated Parmesan cheese over soup servings.
- Serve immediately.