Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
I love eatin' what the ritzy folks do and I don't think there's anybody ritzier'n (that IS a Redneck word) Dolly Parton, the mother of this meatloaf. She's got sequins, she's got big hair, and big..uh...well, she's just big all over. Keeping with her "big" theme, the recipe for this has got a might big list of ingredients, but it's good. So put on the meatloaf, stick Best Little Whorehouse in Texas in the VCR/DVD, and at intermission (when the timer goes off), fix yourself a "hunk" of meatloaf, some mashed potatoes and peas, a glass of sweet tea and a piece of "light bread", and watch the second half.
Top Review by ~Bliss~
I followed the recipe, but should have read the review first. It was fairly bland for me, and the sauce was a little runny. I think omitting most of the sauce from the meatloaf itself, and omitting the water altogether would work better. The meatloaf did not cut, but fell apart. Maybe an additional egg would work better. I'm going to try tomorrow, after it sits in the fridge overnight, and see how it works on a meatloaf sandwich.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (the leaner the better)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup saltine crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped (if you like a lot, use a med-lg onion, if not a lot, a small one)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a shallow pan with non-stick tin foil or regular foil greased well.
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, crumbs, egg, onion, salt, pepper, and one can of tomato sauce.
- (HINT: Keep around a box of food service gloves for nasty jobs like this. If you can't find them, steal a handful from the hospital next time you go or stick your hands down in cheap sandwich-sized zipper bags to keep your hands clean. Just toss out or wash with the dishes.).
- Form into a loaf and place in the pan. Mix everything else and pour on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hr and 15 minute and juices run clear. Baste occasionally. If the meatloaf starts to burn on top, tent with foil.