Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe yrs ago from a friend who served this dish at a dinner party & it got rave reviews. When you want to impress or convince a lima bean non-believer, this is the recipe for you. There are only a few lima bean recipes at this site compared to other veggies. This 1 is an easy to prepare stovetop-to-table dish & spectacular with any meat or chicken entree not combined with a cream sauce. Enjoy!
- 3 cups frozen lima beans
- 6 slices bacon (thick-sliced)
- 1 medium onion (roughly diced)
- 6 large button mushrooms (or 8 small)
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (more as desired)
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- Cook frozen lima beans per pkg directions while following remaining steps & set aside.
- Roughly dice the medium onion & set aside.
- Cut each large mushroom in half from top down through any stem. Put the cut edge down on your cutting board & slice each half in approx 1/3 inch slices & set aside.
- Cut bacon slices in 1/2 inch segments & fry in a non-stick skillet until crisp. If you have more than 2 tbsp of rendered bacon fat grease, remove the excess of that amount.
- Add diced onion & sliced mushrooms to skillet & saute until onion is translucent. Do not overcook to carmelized state.
- Add 1 tsp curry powder + low-fat sour cream & combine well.
- Taste & add additional curry powder or seasoning salt to your preferences.
- Remove skillet from heat, add cooked lima beans, mix well & serve immediately.
- Note: My advice is to plan for 2nd helpings. You'll need them!
Fantastic recipe! Words do not describe how good these are. I could have eaten only these for dinner. Next time I'll double the recipe so I have leftovers. The curry is not at all overpowering but adds a distinctive flavor that shouldn't be skipped. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious!! The curry, bacon, onions, and mushrooms combine together to compliment the lima beans perfectly. Since my family loves all of these ingredients, I knew these beans would be a big hit and it was...they devoured them. I made this recipe as written, using thick-sliced black pepper bacon and 6 large mushrooms. The recipe instructions were well written and easy to follow. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for 2008 Football Pool*
Lima beans are my very favorite vegetable in the world and this recipe is now my all-time favorite way to prepare them. I usually just have them plain, but this recipe has changed that. I do have to admit I only used about 1/4 t of the curry powder because I am not a big fan of that, but the other reviewers said it was a must so I compromised. I will definitely be making this recipe again. It's wonderful! Made for the Aussie/New Zealand Recipe Swap#19.