1. Rinse lima beans and place in water along with quartered onions, carrots, and celery in pot or dutch oven.
2. Bring mix to a boil over medium heat.
3. When mix begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
4. Add the two grated potatoes and simmer for an additional half hour.
5. Add the balance of the potatoes along with the golden brown bacon (nix the bacon drippings unless you don't mind the fat and extra calories).
6. (Optional) Add one cup of grated cauliflower or one cup of flour for thicker broth, if desired.
7. Let simmer for an additional half hour, then add four cups of diced tomatoes (canned will do) for flavor and a bit of color, two bay leaves, 3/4 T thyme, 3/4 T paprika, 2 T lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and favorite flavorful hot sauce (optional).
8. Either continue to simmer for three to four additional hours until done, stirring often and/or adding additional water to avoid burning the ever-thickening mix, or remove contents from heat and transfer to 7-qt. or 8-qt. crock-pot to finish soup at low setting for five to six hours till finished.
Add additional warm water prior to serving if somewhat thinner consistency desired. Okay to refrigerate broth overnight and then transfer to crock-pot next morning, with a little extra water, if needed, to finish soup at low setting for six to seven hours, but wait until then to add lemon juice. Some think this soup is a bit bland, but avoid over-seasoning while cooking and just let each person season to taste. Goes great with corn bread or a multi-grain muffin or roll. An ale really compliments the overall taste.