This is a recipe I pretty much made up from scratch. I have been making it since I was 10. I make it in the morning and snack on it all day.
- 1 lb lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (can use more if you like it spicer)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (ca use more)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut in pieces (2 strips)
- 2 celery ribs (optional)
- 2 carrots (optional)
- Rinse lentils in cold water until clear.
- In large 6 quart saucepan, fill 3/4 with water.
- Add lentils, tomato sauce, potatoes, onion, bacon, and seasonings.
- Fill almost to top with water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer,
- Simmer 1-1/2 hours--the longer on low simmer the better the soup.
- Stir occasionally.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.