Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I pretty much made up from scratch. I have been making it since I was 10. I make it in the morning and snack on it all day.
- 1 lb lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (can use more if you like it spicer)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (ca use more)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut in pieces (2 strips)
- 2 celery ribs (optional)
- 2 carrots (optional)
- Rinse lentils in cold water until clear.
- In large 6 quart saucepan, fill 3/4 with water.
- Add lentils, tomato sauce, potatoes, onion, bacon, and seasonings.
- Fill almost to top with water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer,
- Simmer 1-1/2 hours--the longer on low simmer the better the soup.
- Stir occasionally.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
OH MY GOODNESS this was the best soup ever love it and will be making it all the time now
Best lentil soup on earth... never had better