Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great lemonade recipe from scratch. You can add more or less sugar depending on your taste. You can make a whole pitcher, or you can refrigerate the syrup to make a glass whenever the mood strikes. The number of lemons you need depends on how juicy they are - you need a total of 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice.
- For the lemon syrup:.
- Place the sugar into a food processor equipped with a steel blade.
- Using a microplane or a zester, remove the zest from at least one lemon being very careful to avoid any white pith. Measure out I tablespoon of zest. How many lemons are needed to reach one tablespoon depends on the size and variety of lemons you are using.
- Add zest to the sugar in the food processor and process for 10 seconds.
- Starting with the lemons you zested, squeeze them to get 1 1/2 cups of strained juice. Set juice aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Turn off the heat. Add the sugar mixture and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the strained lemon juice and stir.
- Transfer mixture to a jar or container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until cold.
- To make single servings: Pour 1/4 cup of the lemon syrup into a tall glass. Add ice cubes and 3/4 cup cold water or seltzer water. Stir and enjoy.
- To make a whole pitcher: Pour entire jar of syrup into large pitcher. Add 12 cups cold water or seltzer. Stir. Add ice cubes. Serve in tall glasses over ice.