This recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine. It is very simple and delicious.
Make and share this Best Lemon Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Shortbread Base:Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In food processor, process all ingredients until mixture begins to form small lumps.
- Press mixture evenly into 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
- While shortbread is baking, prepare topping.
- Topping: In bowl whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until combined well.
- Stir in lemon juice and flour.
- Pour lemon mixture over hot shortbread base.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake in middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
Like Junebug, I found these to be good and easily made with normal ingredients. I did make a few adjustments. Those were to half the recipe and make in an 8z8 pan, added a little extra sugar(1 1/4 cups-recipe halved-but still found it to be a little tart for my taste), used bottled lemon juice instead of fresh, and used margarine instead of unsalted butter and omitted the salt in the crust. Also, I didn't use my food processor, just cut my butter, flour, and sugar with a pastry blender. Thanks for sharing your recipe, seahorse73!
3 Stars and I am being generous. Easy to make, but they did not have near the flavor of previous lemon bars I have made. Oh yeah, they were crumbly and unattractive to boot. People typically love my dishes. They didn't eat half of this one and I don't blame them. I was embarrassed to serve them at a party. Never again.<br/><br/>Tex
Fantastic! These really are the best lemon bars. Perfect amount of tangy lemon flavor balanced by a tender butter crust bottom. Used fresh lemons from my tree for a real treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe!