Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine. It is very simple and delicious.
Top Review by ~cbw~
Like Junebug, I found these to be good and easily made with normal ingredients. I did make a few adjustments. Those were to half the recipe and make in an 8z8 pan, added a little extra sugar(1 1/4 cups-recipe halved-but still found it to be a little tart for my taste), used bottled lemon juice instead of fresh, and used margarine instead of unsalted butter and omitted the salt in the crust. Also, I didn't use my food processor, just cut my butter, flour, and sugar with a pastry blender. Thanks for sharing your recipe, seahorse73!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Shortbread Base:Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In food processor, process all ingredients until mixture begins to form small lumps.
- Press mixture evenly into 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
- While shortbread is baking, prepare topping.
- Topping: In bowl whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until combined well.
- Stir in lemon juice and flour.
- Pour lemon mixture over hot shortbread base.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake in middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.