Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Not the fastest, but the best lemon asparagus chicken according to our family!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (can do 5 which is what is required for our family)
- 1⁄3 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of asparagus soup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb asparagus, washed and trimmed (a little more if needed)
- Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray. (I use a lasagna pan but you can squeeze everything into a 9x13" casserole dish too. It works just fine). Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Pound each chicken breast until fairly flat with meat mallet. They will be "large".
- Dredge 2 chicken breasts in the seasoned flour.
- Over medium high heat in large skillet, place half the butter and half the olive oil.
- Brown the two chicken breast on each side until golden brown. Place in prepared casserole dish when done.
- Repeat process with remaining butter and olive oil, and remaining chicken breasts.
- Combine milk, soup, lemon juice and pepper, and pour over and around chicken breasts.
- Lay the asparagus spears around chicken, pressing down into soup mixture.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 300°F The longer you bake, the more tender the chicken seems to get.
- Serve with white rice.