Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best lasagna recipe I have ever made. I had one lasagna several years ago that was out of this world and while this is not the same one, it is the closest one I have ever found. I like to make two and freeze one for later use.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons garlic (pressed or minced)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet basil
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 20 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (16 ounce) containers ricotta cheese (may use one container)
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil noodles and drain (you may also use uncooked noodles).
- Sauté garlic, sugar and salt.
- Add sausage and ground beef and brown, breaking into small crumbles.
- Add basil, pepper, tomatoes and paste; simmer 20-30 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Mix together in bowl, ricotta, egg and parsley (add milk if it's too thick).
- Layer sauce to cover bottom of pan, noodles 1/2 of ricotta mixture, 1/4 c of parmesan, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, sauce and parmesan.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 25 minutes.
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes then cut and serve.
- Leftovers may be frozen and then heated in the oven until hot and melty.
- Goes great with crusty garlic toast and a salad.
I made this recipe the only thing I did different was put mozzarella cheese on the top. It turned out great!!!