This combines hoppin' john with the flavor of other cooked meats, or seafood on hand to make a wonderful dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups cubed ham (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups cooked shrimp (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups cooked crab (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups cooked chicken (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups smoked sausage (or a comination of any of the above)
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook rice according to directions.
- 2Substitute the chicken broth for the water content.
- 3In a large saucepan, fry bacon, then add the onions and celery cooking them until they are clear.
- 4Stir in the rice, black-eyed peas, barbecue sauce, Tabasco, meat or seafood, or combination and of course your seasoning-- salt and pepper.
- 5I have also found If you like it just a little kicked up-- I like to increase the Tabasco.
- 6Serve this dish immediately.
- 7If you make it ahead, bake in a covered baking dish at 325* for 45 minute.
- 8if ingredients are at room temperature; and 55-60 if they are refrigerated.
- 9**Depending on preparation is how long it will take**.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Hoppin ' John Combo
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.8
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.1 mg
- Sodium 1439.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 20.3 g