Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This combines hoppin' john with the flavor of other cooked meats, or seafood on hand to make a wonderful dish.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups cubed ham (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups cooked shrimp (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups cooked crab (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups cooked chicken (or a comination of any of the above) or 2 cups smoked sausage (or a comination of any of the above)
- salt and pepper
- Cook rice according to directions.
- Substitute the chicken broth for the water content.
- In a large saucepan, fry bacon, then add the onions and celery cooking them until they are clear.
- Stir in the rice, black-eyed peas, barbecue sauce, Tabasco, meat or seafood, or combination and of course your seasoning-- salt and pepper.
- I have also found If you like it just a little kicked up-- I like to increase the Tabasco.
- Serve this dish immediately.
- If you make it ahead, bake in a covered baking dish at 325* for 45 minute.
- if ingredients are at room temperature; and 55-60 if they are refrigerated.
- **Depending on preparation is how long it will take**.
This is very yummy. Make sure to use a good barbecue sauce.
This was great! I used a combination of ham, sausage, and shrimp, and my family ate it up. Thanks for sharing.