Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Mixture of rice and vermicelli slightly browned with a buttery flavor. I love this with ribs, salmon, or barbecued chicken. This recipe is from my mother-in-law, takes about 1/2 hour to prepare, and you need 2 sauce pans. Don't sub with brown rice because it doesn't taste as good. You can cut the butter a little if you want but the more you reduce butter the drier the rice. Use real butter! I suggest make it as is written the first time around.
- chicken broth, - 2 ea 14 1/2oz cans
- long grain white rice, - 14 oz (just fill 1 empty broth can to measure)
- butter - 3/4 stick
- vermicelli (7-8 oz broken up, I measure by using 1/2 empty broth can)
- In a small sauce pan bring the broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large or tall sauce pan melt the butter on med-high heat. Before all of it melts, add rice and vermicelli, stirring constantly to prevent burning. You just want a little browning for color. Grab the pot with the boiling broth and pour it into the rice mixture. It bubbles like crazy! Turn the heat down to med-low, give it a final stir, cover with tight fitting lid, and simmer for 25 minutes. Yum.
Loved this! I served it last night with roasted chicken and it was terrific! It reminded me of Rice-A-Roni and I am looking forward to using in place of the pre-packaged stuff for a chicken casserole recipe I have. Thanks!