Recipe by yumyumum
When fresh tomatoes are plentiful nothing makes your house smell any better than simmering a big pot of sauce on the stove. This is a big hit with my family!
- 4 quarts tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tomatoes, onions and green pepper until soft.
- You may choose to mill it if you don't like the tomato seeds.
- Add garlic, red pepper, oregano, basil and salt.
- Simmer until well blended and thickened, 2-3 hours (maybe more).
- Mix sugar, margarine and flour into a paste.
- Stir into tomato mix.
- This sauce freezes well!