Updated 9/27/12 with additional notes I've learned over time. This is a personal recipe based on traditional bechamel-based mac-n-cheese. Super creamy and flavorful. I like mine in the microwave, but also tastes great in the oven. For my own taste, I like 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, 1 cup mild cheddar, and 1/2 cup Italian blend. Re: comment about "kicked up white sauce", not using enough cheese or only mild cheeses would certainly taste more like a white sauce, but that is why I have written the recipe to taste. There are so many combinations to try :) Please feel free to use your favorite cheese(s) and plenty of it! 3 cups is just what works for me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil macaroni according to package directions.
- 2Cheese Sauce.
- 3Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. (low heat is important! watch carefully).
- 4Add flour gradually while whisking and cook for 1 minute, still whisking.
- 5Add a small amount of milk to start the sauce then add all the spices.
- 6Keep on whisking while adding the rest of the milk. Turn up the heat to high or medium high depending on your stove, just be careful not to scorch the sauce. The more you whisk, the creamier the sauce will be.
- 7As sauce approaches a boil, begin to whisk in cheese one handful at a time, ensuring all cheese is melted before adding another. (Helps with texture and greasiness).
- 8Take off the heat and whisk vigorously one last time.
- 9Pour over cooked macaroni in 13x9 pan and stir together. The last 1/2 cup of sauce may be too much depending on type and amount of pasta. Sprinkle additional cheese over the top if desired.
- 10Microwave on 70% power for 15:00 minutes or until set. If you prefer baking, it comes out well at 350 after about 30-35 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Homemade Mac-N-Cheese Ever
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.3
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 652.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: