Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Most healthier naan recipes didn't taste as good to us as the recipes that included oil and dairy. So, we came up with this yummy and healthier alternative that amazingly still has no added oil or dairy! Like most naan recipes it is time consuming, but we love Indian food and can't seem to eat it without the naan. Add the garlic to turn the plain naan into garlic naan (our favorite). We use our recipe Quick Tofu and Cashew Sour Cream (Vegan) for the vegan sour cream, but you can also find it in grocery or health food stores.
- 828.06 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml plain soymilk
- 236.59 ml vegan sour cream
- 59.14 ml garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- Mix together flour, baking powder,salt, cumin and corriander in a lerge mixing bowl.
- Stir in the soy milk and vegan sour cream, then knead it in the bowl till it holds together well, adding more flour if necessary.
- Place on a floured surface and continue kneading for about 5 to 10 minutes till the dough feels smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball and put it in a non-stick bowl, covered with a towel, to rest for an hour or longer.
- Take the dough out and cut it into 12 equal pieces.
- Form each into a ball and press the balls flat into round discs.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan or griddle on medium heat.
- Take 1 piece of dough at a time and roll it out on a floured surface till it is about 8-10 inches across and less than 1/4 inch thick.
- Lay it on the hot griddle and cook it over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until it puffs up and some blackish-brown spots apear.
- Serve hot.
- To reheat, wrap them in aluminum foil, in packets of 5 or 6 breads (or less) and bake (in pre-heated oven) at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
This was so good! Thank you so much! My fiance and I have been missing naan TONS since we adopted a vegan diet over 2 years ago. This recipe fixes it all. I used a plain soy yogurt instead of the sour cream because that's what I had on hand. The coriander really shone through & it was exciting to see the dough transform with the brown spots & bubbles! Next time we'll add the garlic. This is great! 2 thumbs up & 5 stars! (Toddler loved it, too!)
I love indian food and just recently started trying to make it at home for my vegan family. All of the naan i find in the store has buttermilk, but making it is so much fun! This recipe is awesome.