1/1 Photo of Best Healthy Vegan Indian Naan (Or Garlic Naan) Bread!
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Most healthier naan recipes didn't taste as good to us as the recipes that included oil and dairy. So, we came up with this yummy and healthier alternative that amazingly still has no added oil or dairy! Like most naan recipes it is time consuming, but we love Indian food and can't seem to eat it without the naan. Add the garlic to turn the plain naan into garlic naan (our favorite). We use our recipe Quick Tofu and Cashew Sour Cream (Vegan) for the vegan sour cream, but you can also find it in grocery or health food stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together flour, baking powder,salt, cumin and corriander in a lerge mixing bowl.
- 2Stir in the soy milk and vegan sour cream, then knead it in the bowl till it holds together well, adding more flour if necessary.
- 3Place on a floured surface and continue kneading for about 5 to 10 minutes till the dough feels smooth and elastic.
- 4Form the dough into a ball and put it in a non-stick bowl, covered with a towel, to rest for an hour or longer.
- 5Take the dough out and cut it into 12 equal pieces.
- 6Form each into a ball and press the balls flat into round discs.
- 7Heat a large non-stick frying pan or griddle on medium heat.
- 8Take 1 piece of dough at a time and roll it out on a floured surface till it is about 8-10 inches across and less than 1/4 inch thick.
- 9Lay it on the hot griddle and cook it over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until it puffs up and some blackish-brown spots apear.
- 10Serve hot.
- 11To reheat, wrap them in aluminum foil, in packets of 5 or 6 breads (or less) and bake (in pre-heated oven) at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Healthy Vegan Indian Naan (Or Garlic Naan) Bread!
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 235.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan sour cream