Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe might sound strange... who ever thought of using mayo on a grilled cheese instead of butter?? Try it, you'll see. It makes a great crunch on the bread. And you can use fat free mayo... I don't think fat free butter exists. I haven't found a cheese I don't like with this sanwich. You can also switch up the meat.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices turkey, buffalo style from the deli
- 2 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
- Heat a non stick pan over medium high heat.
- spread one side of each slice of bread with a tsp of mayo, coating it evenly.
- place one slice in the pan, mayo side down.
- arrange meat an cheese on the bread with the meat between the slices of cheese.
- place the other slice of bread on top with mayo side up.
- cover and cook to desired toasting level.
- Flip and repeat.
I guess I'm an odd one because I was raised in a "mayo on grilled cheese" household and think butter ones are weird. This is truly one of my favorite things in the world, especially when combined with tomato soup!
Wonderful and delicious sandwich. I would never have thought to put the mayo on the outside, but it works. I used swiss instead of provolone. I will be making these often in the future. Made for Honor Thy Mother - and be Gluten-Free, too! Tag Game.
I just had this delicious, easy to make sandwich for lunch. I used regular mayo and honey flavored deli style turkey. The mayonaise was a nice surprise, tasty but not heavy like butter can be. thanks for sharing this recipe.