Recipe by mhouze
This is a recipe that has been handed down to 3 generations. It is wonderful! If you don't like it spicy, you can leave out the chilis and jalapenos.
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 onions, diced
- 16 ounces cornbread mix (Marie Callanders works best)
- 2 dozen small corn tortillas, ripped into small pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) box seasoned stuffing mix or 1 (10 ounce) box croutons
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced jalapeno peppers
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil celery until done.
- In a skillet melt butter and sweat onions.
- Add celery to onions and simmer.
- In a giant mixing bowl mix corn bread mix, tortillas, stuffing mix, eggs, jalapenos and chilis.
- Add celery and onion mixture.
- Mix in 4 cans of broth, should be a soupy consistancy. Add more broth if needed.
- Place mixture in a 11x13 glass baking dish and place in oven.
- Check stuffing every 15 minutes, adding more broth when it starts to dry up. DO NOT LET IT DRY OUT!
- Bake for a total of 1.5 hours.