Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My daughter's holiday favourite. No cans or stocks, all fresh ingredients.
- 2 lbs green beans
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons oil, for frying
- Steam beans. Set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms and toss with beans.
- In a frying pan melt butter, add diced onion and sauté until tender.
- Whisk in 2 tbsp flour, lemon zest and 3/4 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Whisk in milk then sour cream. Add half of cheddar cheese.
- Mix with beans and mushrooms in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with other half of cheddar cheese.
- Bake @ 350F for 15 minute.
- In the mean time toss 1 cup flour and salt in a large ziplock bag with sliced onion.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add flour coated onion and fry until crispy (about 5 min).
- Top bean casserole with crispy fried onions.