Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My daughter's holiday favourite. No cans or stocks, all fresh ingredients.
Make and share this Best Green Bean Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs green beans
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons oil, for frying
- Steam beans. Set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms and toss with beans.
- In a frying pan melt butter, add diced onion and sauté until tender.
- Whisk in 2 tbsp flour, lemon zest and 3/4 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Whisk in milk then sour cream. Add half of cheddar cheese.
- Mix with beans and mushrooms in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with other half of cheddar cheese.
- Bake @ 350F for 15 minute.
- In the mean time toss 1 cup flour and salt in a large ziplock bag with sliced onion.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add flour coated onion and fry until crispy (about 5 min).
- Top bean casserole with crispy fried onions.