Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pre-allergies, my favorite berry cookbook was the Northwest Berry Cookbook by Kathleen Desmond Stang. This recipe is a gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free version of the BEST muffins ever inspired by Stang but eliminating many of the allergens....
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup xylitol sugar substitute (or other sugar alternative)
- 1 tablespoon xylitol sugar substitute (separate)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon (zest and juice in separate dishes)
- 1⁄3 cup coconut cream
- 1⁄3 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Earth Balance natural buttery spread or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or oil.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, Xylitol, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Combine (1T) xylitol sugar substitute and (1t) cinnamon for topping and set aside in a small dish.
- Combine coconut cream, almond milk, and lemon juice. (The combined total should be about 3/4 cup of liquid.)
- Add eggs and Earth Balance and stir.
- Add the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the berries.
- Divide batter evenly into the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and xylitol sugar substitute on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are brown on top and firm to the touch.