Recipe by HisPixie
These are the best gingerbread men I've ever made, and they are easy to roll and cut out (and I hate making cut-out cookies!) We like to use decorating candies prior to baking.
Top Review by Gingita
I wasn't impressed. I guess the main reason we didn't like them was that they didn't taste like gingerbread men. They weren't spicy enough. If I try this recipe again then I'll be adding more spices, but I will probably just use another recipe instead.
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream margarine and sugar together. Add egg and mix. Add molasses and spice and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture a bit at a time. Stir after each addition.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead a couple of times to make sure it is well mixed.
- Divide dough in half, wrap half in plastic wrap and set aside (I put in the refrigerator).
- Roll out half the dough on floured surface with floured rolling pin to about 1/4-inch thickness.Cut with floured gingerbread man cutter.
- Place 1/2-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with candies now or wait until cookies are cool and decorate with frosting.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.
- Store cookies tightly covered for up to 2 weeks.