1 hr 15 mins
From Cook's Illustrated (July 2009). Buy chops of the same thickness so they will cook uniformly. Omit sprinkling with salt in step 3 if you use enhanced pork instead of natural pork. Use the large holes on a box grater to grate the onions. Any variety of chip will work, except mesquite. You will need a 9x13-inch disposible cake pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light molasses or 1/4 cup mild molasses
- 2 tablespoons grated onions (see note)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1FOR THE SAUCE: Bring all ingredients to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce reaches ketchuplike consistency and is reduced to about 1 cup, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer ½ cup sauce to small bowl and set aside to serve with cooked chops.
- 2FOR THE CHOPS: Place soaked wood chips in shallow disposable aluminum pie plate and place plate on primary burner (burner that will remain on during barbecuing) and reposition cooking grate(s). Turn all burners to high, close lid, and heat until hot and chips are smoking, about 15 minutes. (If chips ignite, use water-filled spray bottle to extinguish.) Scrape cooking grate clean with grill brush. Leave primary burner on high and turn off other burner(s).
- 3While grill is heating, pat chops dry with paper towels. Using sharp knife, cut 2 slits about 1 inch apart through outer layer of fat and connective tissue to prevent buckling. Sprinkle entire surface of each chop with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Place chops side by side, facing in same direction, on cutting board with curved rib bone facing down. Pass 2 skewers through loin muscle of each chop, close to bone, about 1 inch from each end. Once chops have been threaded onto skewers, pull apart to create 1-inch space between each.
- 4Place skewered chops, bone-side down, on cooler side of grill, over aluminum pan. Cover grill and cook until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pork chop, but away from any bone, registers 110 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5Remove skewers from chops; tip chops onto flat side and brush surface with 1 tablespoon sauce. Transfer chops, sauce-side down, to hotter parts of grill (2 on each side) and cook, covered, until browned, 4 to 7 minutes. Brush top of each chop with 1 tablespoon sauce; flip and continue to cook on second side until browned and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pork chop, but away from any bone, registers 140 to 145 degrees, 4 to 7 minutes longer. Remove chops from grill and allow to rest, tented with foil, 5 minutes. Serve, passing ½ cup reserved sauce separately.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Gas Grill-Smoked Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.1
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 68.8 mg
- Sodium 2311.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 18.9 g