Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is a wonderful recipe for Margaritas on the Rocks by the pitcher-full! It is best to prepare the lime-lemon juice and zests mixture before hand to allow them to meld appropriately -- Cooking time reflects refrigeration time. I discovered this in Cook's Illustrated Magazine -- just in time for summer! I have altered the ingredients to suit my personal taste. Enjoy!
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh lime zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (from 2-3 limes)
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar (more or less to suit your personal taste)
- 1 pinch table salt
- crushed ice
- 1 cup tequila (Preferably Patron)
- 1 cup triple sec
- Combine lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice sugar, and salt in a large measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate (preferably overnight).
- Divide 1 cup crushed ice between 4 to 6 margarita glasses.
- Strain juice mixture into 1 quart pitcher or cocktail shaker.
- Add Patron tequila, Triple Sec; stir or shake to combine thoroughly.
- Pour over ice; serve immediately and enjoy : ).
Unfortunately this does not really make a pitcherful of Margaritas. It only serves about 4. It tasted OK, much better than a mix, but when we saw that it wouldn't be enough, we added a can of thawed Bacardi Margarita mix along with a little more than 1/2 can of tequila 1/2 can of Triple Sec. FANTASTIC!!! So much better with these additions. Because these are strong, this quantity was about right for 8 of us. Try this, you won't be disappointed!!!
A margarita is not supposed to be a SWEET drink. Do not add sugar. If you need to slightly balance the acidity use another liqueur such as Cointreu or other orange liqueur.
Everyone loved these!! They were a little sweeter than we usually like, but they were still delicious. They are very strong though! A couple of us had each, and I wouldn't recommend that! They sneak up on you! :) We'll definately make these again.