Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I got this from my best friend. Everyone we know "begs" her to make it. It's a bit time consumming, but well worth it.
- 2 (8 ounce) boxes vermicelli
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons salad oil
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 3 teaspoons fresh limes or 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, all parts
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, unthawed
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- beau monde seasoning
- garlic salt or garlic powder
- Boil vermicelli in salted water with 1 T oil added.
- Don't overcook.
- Drain and blanch in cold water.
- Marinate vermicelli overnight in remaining oil, accent and lemon or lime juice.
- Next day, add all other ingredients and toss.
- Season to taste.
My Mother-in-Law has made this salad for years and she always gets asked for the recipe when she takes it somewhere. There are a few minor changes though... only used 12 oz of vermicelli, 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 Tbsp accent season, 2 Tbsp Lowrys season salt, 3 Tbsp "real-lemon" lemon juice for overnight marinade, and then chop into VERY small pieces all veggies 1/2 c each celery and yellow onion, 1 bell pepper , 1-7oz jar green pimento olives drained, Add 1-1/2 C Hellmans mayo and 1 Cup grated cheddar cheese. Delicious!!!
I took this to work for a pot luck and every one loved it and wanted the recipe. My kids ate some and asked me to make more to have at home. They usually won't eat new food, but they liked this. Momma ate some and said she would like it better with sweet pickle juice in it to sweeten it.