Recipe by Serranian
I made this sandwich up the other day - low calorie, *very low* in fat (1 gram), very rich tasting (really!), and tons of great taste! If you love onions, this is for you!
Top Review by Travis H.
This sandwich is nothing short of incredible! It tastes just like its from a sandwich shop. Very filling and full of taste. Almost as easy to make as a grilled cheese, but it tastes much better!
- 2 slice light whole wheat bread
- 3 slice butterball fat free turkey
- 59.14 ml shredded fat free mozzarella cheese, the kroger store brand is great
- 118.29 ml white onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml shredded romaine lettuce
- 9.85 ml fat-free Miracle Whip
- 4.92 ml plain mustard
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the onions in a bowl and add a couple of teaspoons of water- I also like to add a boullion cube for extra flavor (+5 calories), but be careful with this if you're watching sodium.
- Cover with plastic wrap and nuke onions for about 3-5 minutes or until floppy.
- Meanwhile, spray one side of each slice of bread with the butter spray.
- Lay one piece spray-side down in a skillet and top with the cheese.
- You might want to add a squirt of spray over the cheese if the kind you use doesn't melt well.
- When the onions are done, take them out and spoon them over the cheese on the bread.
- Next, add the 3 slices of turkey.
- Spread the unsprayed side of the other slice of bread with the Miracle Whip (or fat free mayo) and the mustard.
- Place this slice on top- spray side up!
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, toasting the sandwich a couple of minutes on either side or until golden brown.
- When done, remove the sandwich, peel apart, stuff in the lettuce, smoosh back together, and CHOW DOWN!
- I included calorie and fat counts for every ingredient so that it will be easy to make substitutions and still know the exact nutritional information- I realize that not everyone loves onions as much as I do!
- Some other good ingredients are roasted bell peppers, mushrooms, tomato, or anything else you love!