Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
This is a incredible recipe! It is a restaurant style recipe and although the long list of ingredients looks quite long, I promise you, it is easy to make and wonderful! 8)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 slice white bread
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 zucchini, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups instant rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large skillet; add onion, green pepper and carrot. Cook 5 minutes until onion is softened.
- Stir in broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, pineapple with juice, and ketchup.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While that's cooking, soak bread in milk in large bowl until milk is absorbed.
- Mix together with chicken, zucchini, egg, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Shape 12 meatballs, approx 2 tablespoons mixture each.
- Drop meatballs into the simmering sauce, cook 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Turn over once during cooking; remove from heat and stir in rice.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork before serving.