This is a very simple and delicious salad to make, especially in the summer. My family does not like spinach very much, but they love this dish. Also great to take to pot luck or church dinners as it is a "different" salad. The secret is to find the pale green fresh baby spinach leaves as opposed to the larger, tough, dark green ones in a bag! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- Beat together egg and vinegar Put in a small pot and simmer, stirring well.
- Continue to simmer, add sugar and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Wash and drain baby spinach leaves and romaine lettuce well.
- Place in large salad bowl.
- Pour chilled dressing over salad and add strawberries or mandarines on top.
- Mix well.
- Prep time does not include refrigeration.
- If you are low carbing -- use Splenda in place of sugar, and strawberries, no oranges.