Recipe by Lennie
This has become my #1 wings recipe; love 'em! I serve these as a main course, but I think they'd be great to serve as a snack or appetizer, or take to a potluck. My son and I really enjoy these (DH, on the other hand, hates wings of any kind; his loss); I hope your family enjoys them too.
Top Review by katielgarcia
This recipe is a great starting point, but here is the SECRET for awesome sticky wings: Use this same recipe, but add 1/3 cup brown sugar and about 4 tablespoons of hot sauce. Line baking sheet with aluminum, and "dip & flip" the wings every 5-10 minutes (takes a while for them to get sticky, be patient). With these simple changes, it is now BEYOND 5 stars!! Best wings I've ever had, hands down. I've made these for lots of people, and every single person raves about them :)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken wings (separated at joint, with wing tips discarded or saved to make stock)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425F; have ready a shallow baking pan that you've lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange chicken wings in prepared pan; lightly sprinkle both sides of wings with salt and pepper (go easy on the salt).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While wings are in oven, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic powder and ginger; please note that the original recipe called for minced fresh garlic and minced fresh ginger, but I found they had a tendency to burn easily so went with the dried spices instead.
- Feel free to use two minced garlic cloves and 1 tsp of freshly minced ginger, instead of the dried spices, if you want to give fresh a go.
- After the wings have baked for 15 mins, remove from oven and drain off any accumulated fat.
- Pour the sauce over the wings and return to oven.
- Bake for 20 more minutes, turning wings over in sauce frequently (I do it every 4 or 5 minutes), so that they are thoroughly coated.
- Wings should be well glazed and sticky when done.