This has become my #1 wings recipe; love 'em! I serve these as a main course, but I think they'd be great to serve as a snack or appetizer, or take to a potluck. My son and I really enjoy these (DH, on the other hand, hates wings of any kind; his loss); I hope your family enjoys them too.
- Preheat oven to 425F; have ready a shallow baking pan that you've lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange chicken wings in prepared pan; lightly sprinkle both sides of wings with salt and pepper (go easy on the salt).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While wings are in oven, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic powder and ginger; please note that the original recipe called for minced fresh garlic and minced fresh ginger, but I found they had a tendency to burn easily so went with the dried spices instead.
- Feel free to use two minced garlic cloves and 1 tsp of freshly minced ginger, instead of the dried spices, if you want to give fresh a go.
- After the wings have baked for 15 mins, remove from oven and drain off any accumulated fat.
- Pour the sauce over the wings and return to oven.
- Bake for 20 more minutes, turning wings over in sauce frequently (I do it every 4 or 5 minutes), so that they are thoroughly coated.
- Wings should be well glazed and sticky when done.
This recipe is a great starting point, but here is the SECRET for awesome sticky wings: Use this same recipe, but add 1/3 cup brown sugar and about 4 tablespoons of hot sauce. Line baking sheet with aluminum, and "dip & flip" the wings every 5-10 minutes (takes a while for them to get sticky, be patient). With these simple changes, it is now BEYOND 5 stars!! Best wings I've ever had, hands down. I've made these for lots of people, and every single person raves about them :)
Oh my Lennie you really out did yourself. This recipe is fabulous. I made 4 lbs of wings and admit it took about 20 minutes or so longer to get the glazed sticky coating but it was well worth the wait. Messier than all get out but finger licking good! Darn good wings!
We had these as an appetizer during the Super Bowl. They were good but definitely needed a little "kick." Next time I think I'll add some hot sauce or red pepper flakes.