Recipe by Janie from TX
I stumbled across this tasty casserole when substituting ingredients for a recipe that I had. You can't go wrong...with or without the carrots. Use yellow or Zucchini squash. But don't substitute the Lipton Cup of Soup. That’s the secret ingredient.
- 4 cups squash (peeled, deseeded and cubed)
- 1⁄2-1 cup carrot (shredded, cubed or sliced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (diced or ran through a garlic press)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 (2/3 ounce) packages cream of chicken soup mix (Lipton Cup of Soup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optioal)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (cubed or shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan with just enough water to cover veggies and boil until squash is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain, saving about 1/2 cup of broth.
- Put cooked veggies in a mixing bowl and run on medium speed.
- Add broth, butter and cheese.
- Mix sugar and cup of soup mix with dressing and add to veggie mixture while mixer is still running
- Mix for about a minute.
- Place mixture into a large casserole dish or a 9' x 13' pan and bake until golden brown (25-35 minutes).