6 hrs 15 mins
A mouth-watering Mexican carnitas recipe with a special sweet addition, slow cooked for hours in a crock-pot and served with warm tortillas. After numerous attempts at perfecting the art of carnitas from scratch, this is my best recipe yet. A taste of Mexico in your very own kitchen!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork loin (Boston butt and shoulder work great. Leaner meats seem to dry out.)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, peeled with the tips chopped off
- 3 -4 bay leaves, broken
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 (20 ounce) bottle Coca-Cola Classic
- 1Cut the 2 lbs of pork into roughly 2 inch squares and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- 2Pour the stick of melted butter in the slow cooker coating the meat. Do the same with the 2 Tbs of oil.
- 3Break the one cinnamon stick in half and place to the sides of the meat.
- 4Peel 5-6 garlic cloves, cutting the tips off, and break 3-4 bay leaves in half. Place the leaves and the garlic in the slow cooker, evenly distributed among the meat.
- 5Add the 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp (or more depending on taste) red pepper flakes, sprinkling evenly across the meat.
- 6Pour the 1/3 cup whole milk in the cooker, being careful not to wash away the spices from the meat.
- 7Add the Coca Cola, being careful not to wash away the spices from the meat. Add enough to just cover the top of the meat.
- 8Turn the slow cooker to the "Low" heat setting. Cook for 6 hours, stirring every few hours.
- 9Once cooked, remove meat from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon and place in a separate large bowl. Shred the meat using two forks, and add spoonfuls of liquid from the cooker to ensure meat is moist.
- 10Serve on warm tortillas, with pico de gallo, sour cream, and chopped jalapenos.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Slow Cooker Carnitas
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 820.1
- Calories from Fat 563
- Total Fat 62.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 199.1 mg
- Sodium 751.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 46.6 g