Recipe by TP
This recipe was given to me by a friend who is a celebrated chef - oddly enough - it was not something he concocted - it was his sisters recipe. Simply put it is the best sloppy joe I have ever had.
Top Review by teresas
Excellent sloppy joes. I made this into mini joes for our appetizer night. These taste just like Manwiches without the preservatives. It has that same sweet taste you get from the can stuff. I used red peppers because that is what I had available so that would have also added to the sweetness of these delicious guys. I served them in mini buns that I toasted first. These are a keeper. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pan, I use a large electric skillet, brown the ground beef and sausage. Drain off the fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pan except for the flour and mix well.
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally breaking up any large chunks of meat.
- Once mixture has cooked through (approximately 60 mins) and is slightly thickend sift flour over the top and mix in well to further thicken.
- Note: This can also be made in a crockpot, simply put the browned meats in the crock pot - add the remaining ingredients except for flour, cook on low 6-8 hours and then turn to high and stir in the flour to thicken.