Recipe by Seashorewalker
I spent years developing this recipe to finally being what we refer to as the best ever scalloped potatoes. Every time I had an issue of what was wrong with the dish I figured out a way to correct it. I love to hear people’s honest opinions as it helps me to become a better cook. I invite you to give my scalloped potatoes a try and tell me what you think.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Enjoyed making this potato dish almost as much as I did eating it! Used a homemade cream of celery soup as well as a bit of homemade onion soup mix & much appreciated the flavor that taste therein! And, as with many potato recipes, I didn't peel them as we do like the additional nutrition & flavor we get from that part of the potato! Thanks for posting a very nice keeper recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick A Chef]
- 6 baking potatoes, peeled & sliced thin
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups of grated medium cheddar
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into thin squares (approx 1 1/2 Inch Piece off a Large Block)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup chives (Freshly Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Lipton Onion Soup Mix (Dry)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large covered casserole dish spray entire dish with a cooking spray and then spread 1 entire can of Cream of Mushroom soup evenly on the bottom (best way I’ve found to prevent the potatoes from sticking & adds flavor).
- Chop the onion into very small pieces & set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup, the Sour Cream and 1 TSP of Dry Lipton Onion Soup Mix (added for the flavor of the seasonings which makes it extra tasty).
- Peel & Slice the Potatoes Thin.
- LAYER #1: Start layering in the casserole dish with the Cream of Mushroom soup on the bottom: Layer of POTATOES then spread approx 6 spoonfulls of the SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture on top, then ONIONS then ½ cup of CHEDDAR CHEESE.
- LAYER #2: POTATOES then approx 6 spoonfulls of the SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture, then VELVETA CHEESE squares distributed evenly across.
- LAYER #3: POTATOES then all the remaining SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture then the remaining 1 cup of CHEDDAR CHEESE.
- Sprinkle the chives evenly across the top.
- BAKE COVERED in the oven at 300 degrees for about 1½ hour.
- BAKE UNCOVERED for approx another 1 hour or as needed until done and top is slightly browned (test with a fork and make sure the potatoes are done). Note: Baking uncovered at the end helps reduce the excess moisture.