1/4 Photos of Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes – Creamy, Cheesy, Lots of Flavor
2 hrs 45 mins
I spent years developing this recipe to finally being what we refer to as the best ever scalloped potatoes. Every time I had an issue of what was wrong with the dish I figured out a way to correct it. I love to hear people’s honest opinions as it helps me to become a better cook. I invite you to give my scalloped potatoes a try and tell me what you think.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 baking potatoes, peeled & sliced thin
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups of grated medium cheddar
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into thin squares (approx 1 1/2 Inch Piece off a Large Block)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chives (Freshly Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Lipton Onion Soup Mix (Dry)
- 1In a large covered casserole dish spray entire dish with a cooking spray and then spread 1 entire can of Cream of Mushroom soup evenly on the bottom (best way I’ve found to prevent the potatoes from sticking & adds flavor).
- 2Chop the onion into very small pieces & set aside.
- 3In a separate bowl mix 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup, the Sour Cream and 1 TSP of Dry Lipton Onion Soup Mix (added for the flavor of the seasonings which makes it extra tasty).
- 4Peel & Slice the Potatoes Thin.
- 5LAYER #1: Start layering in the casserole dish with the Cream of Mushroom soup on the bottom: Layer of POTATOES then spread approx 6 spoonfulls of the SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture on top, then ONIONS then ½ cup of CHEDDAR CHEESE.
- 6LAYER #2: POTATOES then approx 6 spoonfulls of the SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture, then VELVETA CHEESE squares distributed evenly across.
- 7LAYER #3: POTATOES then all the remaining SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture then the remaining 1 cup of CHEDDAR CHEESE.
- 8Sprinkle the chives evenly across the top.
- 9BAKE COVERED in the oven at 300 degrees for about 1½ hour.
- 10BAKE UNCOVERED for approx another 1 hour or as needed until done and top is slightly browned (test with a fork and make sure the potatoes are done). Note: Baking uncovered at the end helps reduce the excess moisture.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes – Creamy, Cheesy, Lots of Flavor
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.9
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 60.5 mg
- Sodium 1251.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 16.5 g