Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
"This is an excellent recipe I came up with one day. Italian sausage is simmered in beer with bell peppers and red onions."
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs Italian sausages
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) bottles beer
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan, and set aside.
- Pour in 1 bottle of beer to deglaze the pan, scraping up any blackened bits from the bottom.
- Place the red peppers, green peppers, onions and garlic in the pan. Stir in the remaining beer and the tomato paste. Season with oregano, cilantro, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer until onions and peppers are tender.
- Slice the sausages into bite size pieces, and add to the peppers.
- Cover, and simmer until sausage is cooked through.
This was awesome! I loved the tomato base and all the flavor! The beer was a great addition too. I cut the recipe in half and it was the perfect amount for 4 adults and 2 toddlers. Great dish! Thanks!